The Glorious Hum - Main Page


New Stars in the Sky

Jason's back with another guest post:
I have been giving the new Stars album several listens trying to pick it apart. (If you are wondering why I'm even listening to it, it's been released digitally on emusic, iTunes, and the Arts&Crafts website for those digital crusaders among you)

Some things in this new album are familiar and comfortable as an old friend. Amy and Torquil provide ever beautiful vocals, and a strong interplay on tracks such as "Personal." We still have the beautiful instrumentals that seemed tinged with sadness. Of course, there are still tracks about relationships coming together and falling apart, but not as many as you would think.

However, things have changed, like life, Stars has evolved. The arrangements have become somewhat more sparse, that sadness more subtle. Stars is that old friend... You see them years later, and life and wisdom has shaped them into someone different then what they were when you remember him. You still see your old friend, but it's different.

And it still sounds perfectly beautiful.
I could work my way for pages trying to pin what exactly sets this album apart from star's other albums.

but I don't think I can. I can barely choose what track to post on the blog.

Listen for yourself.
Stars - Personal (In Our Bedroom After the War)
Stars - the Aspidistra Flies (The Comeback EP)
Stars - Your Ex-Lover is Dead (Final Fantasy Remix) (Do you trust your friends?)

Labels: , ,

6 Responses to “New Stars in the Sky”

  1. # Blogger charlotte

    "You still see your old friend, but it's different." -- that's an excellent way to describe it! thank you for the track from their EP; it's beautiful :)  

  2. # Blogger Kate

    I can take credit for the EP track, though Jason wrote the post... I can say thanks for both of us, perhaps?  

  3. # Blogger MMHross

    It gets better the more you listen to it I think.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Thanks, I never got around to picking up "Do You Trust Your Friends?". But is it just me, or does the Aspidistra Files cut off at the end?  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    "It gets better the more you listen to it I think."

    Too true, mmhross.  

  6. # Blogger WillHungover

    I've been trying to accumulate my thoughts on the album for the past week or so as well. It's tough to word but I threw some thoughts down if you wanna check it out.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |