The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Celebrating 19 years of bad music

It's my birthday today, so this is what you get:
(bands I would never normally write about)

Nine Days Theirs was the first non-Broadway Musical, non-Britney Spears, not-terrible album I bought with my own money back when I was 12. I actually still love the Madding Crowd and pull it out sometimes on a rainy day.
Nine Days - Absolutely (Story of a Girl)
Nine Days - End up Alone

Green Day
Green Day was my big 7th grade musical discovery, I think I pretty much own all their albums, though I'm not so crazy about the direction they've gone with their music since American Idiot. They take themselves way to seriously these days.
Green Day - J.A.R.
Green Day - Westbound Sign

Bowling for Soup
They were the first band I ever saw live, I'm thinking back when I was freshman in High School. I think I went through my emo music stage after buying Drunk Enough to Dance and deciding I was too cool for this pop punk stuff. Thank goodness that didn't last.
Bowling for Soup - Girl All the Bad Guys Want

John Mayer So I completely loved Room for Squares, but got a little disgusted with John Mayer after "Your Body is a Wonderland" and moved on.
John Mayer - 3x5


The Starting Line Yeah, I still love the Startling Line. Especially this music video. And that girl on the album cover? Not a girl.
The Starting Line - Best of Me


Dashboard Confessional
I have nothing to say... except you should read this Dusk and Summer review, because it's hilarious, maybe brilliant.
Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated

Around the time I was getting into indie music (ahem, Belle and Sebastian), Avril Lavigne emerged on the scene (4 years ago) and I was equally disgusted and intrigued, so.
Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending
Not to mention she makes the greatest music videos (a good example here).

Currently I have this strange obsession with Ashlee Simpson, don't ask me why.
Ashlee Simpson - L.O.V.E. (music videos here and here)

Some more music videos I'm ashamed to love:
Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's an Arms Race
Kelly Osbourne - Shut Up
Relient K - Be My Escape

The All-American Rejects - Move Along
Hillary Duff - Wake Up
My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay
Something Corporate - Punk Rock Princess


I challenge you all to admit to all the bad music you've listened to over the years...GO!

8 Responses to “Celebrating 19 years of bad music”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I was really into Milli Vanilli when they came out. I was about 5 at the time and so my parents bought me the cassette. I lost it, so i threw a tanrum and forced my parents to buy me another copy of the album on vinyl. It's still lying there in the old vinyl collection. Other bad choices included pre-"the reason" hoobastank, hanson, sugar ray, s club 7 and more i cant think of  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Let's Do It For Johnny! was a much better album than Drunk Enough to Dance, which was officially the turn for the worse.  

  3. # Blogger Kate

    I never listened to that Bowling for Soup album, and I fear it may be too late. I was also a Hanson fan, yes!

    To ward off future commenters telling me that I didn't match up the songs I posted with the album covers I put up ...I'm aware. In each case I put up the album cover for the album I most associate with the band and then whatever song I felt like, from any album.  

  4. # Blogger Joe M.

    Let's Do It For Johnny is certainly a superior album. You should listen to it. Good fun.  

  5. # Blogger scissors happy

    hanson. i saw them in 2005. when i was 28 years old.

    http://scissorshappy.blogspot.com/2005/11/isnt-it-weird.html

    tears for me.  

  6. # Blogger Kate

    I think I'd see them too if I had the chance. :)  

  7. # Blogger stargirl

    I literally own every one of the albums you mentioned. And, sadly, some of the tracks still inhabit my iPod.

    Other past guilty pleasures?
    Blink 182, Goo Goo Dolls.  

  8. # Blogger Ginny

    Hahaha, oh my god, whenever I look back through the CDs that I weeded out of my collection and left home when I went to college, I always run into Drunk Enough To Dance. I also saw them live at one point. And probably thoroughly enjoyed it. And John Mayer. Green Day. Natalie Imbruglia. Evanescence.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |