The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Murder Mystery

I got Murder Mystery's Are You Ready for the Heartache Cause Here It Comes in the mail about a little over week ago at the worst time possible. I popped it into CD player after having listening to the new Junior Senior album straight through for the 7th time (it was starting to make me a little crazy, like eating too much rich chocolate cake and your mouth starts to feel strange), and my immediate reaction was "Nooo, not more boy-meets-girl music..." I think I'd filled my quota. So I ignored Murder Mystery (not to mention Junior Senior) for a week. I only got it out again yesterday.

When I say boy-meets-girl, I mean early Beatles, The Pipettes (though that's girl-meets-boy, I'd say gender-neutral-person meets gender-neutral-person but that gets a little long), top hits from the 60's. The thing is, Murder Mystery's Jeremy Coleman has a pretty deep voice, kind of like The National's lead singer, or Beck. It makes Murder Mystery's music a little bit unusual, typically the genre requires its singers to either be female or have an effeminate voice, or at least be a tenor.

I'd say check it out just for the novelty. The album's good, but not brilliant. I think Murder Mystery comes off better when you listen to it one track at a time and go "huh, this is a pretty damn good pop song", but maybe I'm still suffering from Junior-Senior-itis.

Let's try YANP's description of another Murder Mystery song:
I picture something like an indie rock episode of Archie and Jughead, where someone makes fun of Interpol for always sounding like New Order, causing the band to nearly come to tears. So the band puts their comically oversized heads together, has a montage where they find some Buddy Holly and Phil Spector records, and comes out with this song, completely shutting up their opponents. Also, there’s some Favourite Sons in there somewhere.
Uh.....maybe the someone could be Patrick Wolf?

Murder Mystery - Think of Me

Buy Are You Ready for the Heartache Cause Here It Comes at Insound
Murder Mystery's Website/Myspace

0 Responses to “Murder Mystery”

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |