The Glorious Hum - Main Page


The Avett Brothers

Emotionalism was released in May, and the Avett Brothers have released a number of records since 2000, so I'm very distraught realizing I'd never heard their music before. I was listening through my recent musical acquisitions and one song stuck out in its simplicity, "The Ballad of Love and Hate."

In the song, Love and Hate are not abstract ideas but two people caught in a relationship that exists in despite of their opposing natures. What these natures are should be obvious. The song works because Love's name could be Lily and Hate's name could be Severus (the same goes with Sally and Harry, Hero and Claudio, the list goes on) and it would still make perfect sense. I've been doing a lot of HP re-reading lately, sorry. I'm not suggesting anything, I promise. Genre-wise, The Avett Brothers is low-key folk with bluegrass instrumentation.
"Hate keeps his head up and walks through the street.
Every stranger and drifter he greets.
And shakes hands with every loner he meets
with a serious look on his face."
The Avett Brothers - The Ballad of Love and Hate [download or die]
The Avett Brothers - Die Die Die

Buy Emotionalism from Amazon.com
The Avett Brothers' Website/Myspace

You can catch the Pretty Girl EP over at the Late Greats (which is a joke, by the way, because so many of the Avett Brothers' songs have "Pretty Girl" in the title). It actually introduced me to this song, which I like because it reminds me of the 9-hour drive to from Virginia to Ohio and vice versa I often have the pleasure of taking:
"We drive for miles
Through corporate Ohio

Rest stops in West Virginia

Traffic in Washington DC'
The Avett Brothers - Letter to a Pretty Girl

Personal Update: My best friend from high school is visiting for the next few days, so posting will be sketchy, but it will probably still happen. Afterwards I'll be in DC for a week visiting friends, I'm hoping to catch a few concerts while I'm there.

Bonus: Jack Johnson - We Are Going To Be Friends (White Stripes cover)

Labels: , , , ,

8 Responses to “The Avett Brothers”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    first  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    be sure to see them live, they are even better  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    They're really amazing. I love Ballad of Love and Hate, but my friend (who introduced me to them) said that it was just a filler song. Glad I'm not alone in thinking it's great! They're truly talented guys.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Tell your friend that the Avett Bros have never written or recorded a filler song.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    If you call Ballad of Love and Hate a "filler song", you are sadly missing something very special.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I found these guys by accident... the Mother Truckers were opening for them. They put on an unbelievalby good show (I was very skeptical about 3 guys with acoustic instruments following a high energy, electrified alt country band). Great performers, and possibly even better songwriters!  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I just saw these guys at Merlefest '08. Such great energy.

    They announced a new EP to be released in July 08 and the new songs are amazing.

    Check out my account of the show for some downloads, as well as other great music on an Audio Blog with over 10 authors and tons of great music - AudioMuffin.com.

    http://audiomuffin.com/my-heart-beats-like-a-kick-drum/  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    First saw the Avetts at a bluegrass show -- they were the headliners. After four bars, understood they weren't bluegrass. More like string band. Good vocals, instrumentally average, lots of ENERGY and sophisticated songwriting. But one set was enough for me.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |