The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Hip-Hop's not dead

Just because I don't write about hip-hop doesn't mean I don't listen to it. Normally I don't write about rap or hip-hop because I have no idea what I'm talking about (Update: I proved this true earlier), and I'm the first to admit it.

These are just some releases I like lately. My taste in hip-hop and rap usually runs closer to Immortal Technique, the Coup, and Del the Funky Homosapien than the music I'm posting here, though.

Example - You Can't Rap [download or die]
I found about about Example from Joshua over at Turn the Page, and this is British rap that cracks me up.
"You can't rap my friend / you're white and you're from Fullham."

Common - Drivin' Me Wild (feat. Lily Allen)

Dizzee Rascal - Wanna Be (feat. Lily Allen)
What's with these rappers featuring Lily Allen in their songs lately? I love Lily Allen, I love Common and Dizzee Rascal, but how they ever ended up collaborating together is a mystery to me.

Some more:
Common - Misunderstood
Dizzee Rascal - Excuse Me Please

Talib Kweli - Everything Man [download or die]
I love Talib Kweli. Enough Said. He quotes Langston Hughes in this song...

M.I.A. - Boyz
She seems to be pretty popular with bloggers lately, but I find her music kind of annoying. Oh well.

Lil' Mama - Lip Gloss
[download or die]
Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend (Lil' Mama remix)
Her remix with Avril Lavigne is brilliant, and I'm loving her own music even more.

Rihanna - Shut Up and Drive
Rihanna - Umbrella (feat. Jay Z)
Um...I'm a little ashamed to be posting this. Though I love the music video for "Shut up and Drive."

Labels: ,

9 Responses to “Hip-Hop's not dead”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Example is ace, bt he's not mike skinner! Mike skinner is The Streets!!!...u shud know that...  

  2. # Blogger Kate

    lol, thanks for the correction. Again, for the record, when it comes to hip-hop and rap I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.  

  3. # Blogger Joe M.

    "Umbrella" makes a fine (well...relative to the original) country tune once you slow it down on an acoustic. I'll record it for you.  

  4. # Blogger Kate

    seriously, if you record it I'll post it. :)  

  5. # Blogger Josh L

    Cheers for the Example shout, he is one of Britain's most promising exploits at the moment. As for the Dizzee Rascal and Lily collab, I'm pretty sure they have been old friends, if I remember correctly. That might not be true.
    Jamie T also did a nice collaboration with Lily Allen.

    Another good blog, just downloading this Girlfriend remix, I'm interested in hearing what this is like.

    Josh  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Thanks for the Rihanna song. Fun dance track. Surprised how much I'm liking this album.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You heared the Lil' Mama Umbrella remix???

    It's fun too!!!

    xx  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous

    yeah something annoys me about mia too,she tries too hard to be all day-glo+cool,and 'look at me im so global,i made this beat from a old man tapping his leg in ethiopia'
    ..but everyones lovin her so eh  

  9. # Blogger Dee

    I appreciate the mp3 links. Downloaded a couple of them... and... I admit that the "Girlfriend" remix is a bit of a guilty pleasure. Should have a million reasons to hate the song, but it's undeniably catchy.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |