The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Jack White thinks he's sooo special

I have a question for the White Stripes: was yesterday "Let's get our name in the news day"?
Their LA show is "special" (it's at Icky Thump records, so yeah, I guess it is special), their New York is show "secret", and their album USB-drive is creepy/kind of awesome. I will admit that despite all this fanfare, I do like Icky Thump.

Recently I have been made aware that not everyone appreciates my poking fun at the White Stripes, so I'm going to explain my reasoning. Hands down, the White Stripes make great rock & roll. However, while nothing about their music is particularly revolutionary, everything about their presentation of themselves seems geared to make the pair look both eccentric and inevitably classic - the white, red, and black color scheme; the album titles; the press releases. Few bands could pull this off well (they do), just as few songwriters could pull off so many albums and hit singles with nothing but a guitarist/vocalist and drummer. The simplicity of their music and line-up stands to defy the label "pretentious" while everything about its presentation stands in contrast. My best reaction then is to catch them at their own joke and laugh about it while still fully enjoying their music.

The White Stripes - Stop Breaking Down
(from their self-titled album)
Buy Icky Thump from Amazon.com
Tour dates from Pitchfork

Meanwhile, Saturna's album Some Delicious Enemy, which I wrote about briefly in April, was released on Tuesday.

Saturna - Just for Thrills
Buy Some Delicious Enemy from Amazon.com

Labels: ,

3 Responses to “Jack White thinks he's sooo special”

  1. # Blogger Joe M.

    Roger that on the White Stripes' presentation. I like Icky Thump, especially "You Don't Know What Love Is" and "Conquest."

    On "Conquest," do you think that those are real horns or guitar through a synth?  

  2. # Blogger Kate

    Real horns, I'm pretty sure.  

  3. # Blogger Lexi

    They're real horns- Regulo Almada is credited for them in the booklety thingy that came with the CD.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |