The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Under the Blacklight: Jenny Lewis says "yes folks, I'm a FOX."

Here's what happened: one day Jenny Lewis woke up, looked in the mirror, and thought,
........DAMN, I'm a fox.
It was probably around the time of More Adventurous (data to back me up), because then she went and made an country album with the Watson Twins, which I thoroughly enjoyed, whether I wanted to or not. I think the idea was, "I'm so hot, not even a good girl persona can contain my hotness. Vegas is in the south, right? Just because I grew up in L.A. doesn't mean I can't be a bona fide country singer."

As for Under The Blacklight:
In early Rilo Kiley albums, Jenny Lewis always had this sweet, slightly affected, innocent-sounding voice. That got thrown out the window. Awkward sexuality? Flushed down the toilet. You wanted it, you got it. And "Silver Lining" is the consolation prize for those of us who didn't.

(Update: It seems a lot of the people who commented on this post somehow missed the last sentence. Or the sarcasm. More importantly, the point. I don't like to use the phrase "sold out", but in the case of Jenny Lewis, if the shoe fits...)

Rilo Kiley - Smoke Detector
Rilo Kiley - Silver Lining
Buy Under the Blacklight from Insound
Rilo Kiley's Website/Myspace

older, better Rilo Kiley:
Rilo Kiley - Portions for Foxes
Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
Rilo Kiley - August

Labels: ,

10 Responses to “Under the Blacklight: Jenny Lewis says "yes folks, I'm a FOX."”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I saw her in Glasgow with the Watson Twins a couple of years ago and she had this odd stance on stage. Sort of a 'yes, you are looking, aren;t you'.

    Mind you, it was a great performance, so I cannae complain. Never really liked Rilo Kiley though.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    although both voices are as beautiful as an angel's could be, i've always found her easier to look at than neko. my wife and i got into a debate once over which was the hotter redhead.

    neko is looking rather rough these days. jenny just keeps getting prettier.

    but, this isn't the grocery store check out line so i'll stop sounding like a bad celebrity magazine article.  

  3. # Blogger Kate

    ...mark, I think you may have missed the point.  

  4. # Blogger Audio Taco

    i think she may have affected my final decision on the record- she sounds as hot as she looks.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I think that someone who grows up as a child actor in Hollywood, has a sense that they are special/different, if not "sexy".

    That being said, there is a BIG difference between standing in front of a camera and a live audience night after night.

    In the early RK days, she wasn't the sole focus. The solo project put her really out in front and gave her a lot of confidence in her abilities as a musician.

    What we are seeing today is a result of her maturation as a person and an artist. And, there is nothing sexier than a mature, confident, talented woman!

    Anyway, thanks for the post!!!  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    i usually do.  

  7. # Blogger Megan

    Seriously, Jenny Lewis is HOT. I may have a little woman-crush on her...  

  8. # Blogger Kate

    *runs head into a wall*  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    My gosh Kate, you're right.

    She is gorgeous after all. Gosh, the music must be good, she's just so darn pretty!  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You're truly an idiot. Sell out? You don't like to use the term but you sure throw it around loosely when you're talking about someone who is still in relative obscurity.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |