The Glorious Hum - Main Page


The Details

Ever since I popped Draw a distance. Draw a border. into my stereo about a week ago I've been listening to the Details on repeat, in part because I was almost immediately sure I wanted to post on the album, and in part because I wanted to discern if their music is the type that gets better with each listen. I'm still not sure.

Draw a distance. Draw a border. places humorless, tension-fraught lyrics, written in complete sentences, over the backdrop of a vast musical landscape, with instrumentation that is imposing enough to advertise that the band's music must have some deeper meaning. The combination is a dangerous one, as likely to result in utter failure as success. The Details achieve the latter on a little less than half the album, but considering the scope of their attempt, I'd say that's worthy of notice.

The album concerns itself a good deal with the consequences of war and the politics behind it - personalizing all three, a formula that has been successful for the National and (occasionally) John Vanderslice. This doesn't work for the Details, who are at their best in songs that deal solely with the personal, not the personalized. Slow numbers don't work too well for them either, though oftentimes their best songs begin in quiet and build to a climax. They're Canadian, and I'm starting to wonder... maybe there's a Canadian musical conspiracy going down? Like Mike over at Obscure Sound, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to radio.

The Details - Always, Always, Always, Never.
The Details - Capture and Develop
Draw a distance. Draw a border. will be released on September 25th.
The Details' Myspace

Labels: , , , ,

3 Responses to “The Details”

  1. # Blogger Josh L

    I'm liking this band Kate, another good choice.
    You should check out the Example mixtape as you enjoyed his album tracks.

    And we're working on our top twenty albums of all time at the minute.
    Been reading your blog constantly, but bit to busy to comment all the time.

    Keep up the good work.  

  2. # Blogger Kate

    thanks, obviously I like turn the page as well.  

  3. # Blogger Zach

    Sorry about sucking up your bandwidth. My blog is just a small thing for my family, didn't think it would hurt. Now i am wise to that fact.

    So, per your recommendation I have opened up a free file hosting account at file den. :)

    Love your Blog by the way. Thanks for sharing the great music.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |