The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Come, be blue with me.

The picture is my little sister's depiction of what I'm like in the morning; she was nice enough to draw it and leave it for me on Tuesday so that I would discover it when I went to make myself coffee. After I finally noticed it, I couldn't stop laughing.

Catherine Feeny - Mr. Blue (download or die)
Catherine Feeny - I Still Don't Believe You
Hurricane Glass is one of those great albums I didn't discover until months after its release, though a remastered version was released in June.
In "Mr. Blue" a cheery piano and Feeny's sweet alto shed a little sunlight into a dark room, joined by a friendly acoustic guitar and a harmonica. The universe has conspired to cheer up our "Mr. Blue" and with Catherine Feeny involved it's sure to succeed. Some days I'm my own Ms. Blue, "And I can see it in your face / You’ve been waiting to break / Since you woke up this morning." This is what friends are really good for, picking up the pieces and putting them back together with blue duct tape.
Buy Hurricane Glass from eMusic / Amazon (remastered)
Catherine Feeny's Website/Myspace
UK Tour Dates - she's touring starting in August

Jaymay - Gray or Blue (download or die)
Jaymay - Sea Green, See Blue
I got Jaymay's EP Sea Green, See Blue from the radio station last year while I was on blog leave and have posted a few tracks randomly since them.
With "Gray or Blue" the details are so close but the situation so distant from my own experience that listening to it creates an ache for things to be different. And the approach is beautiful, aware of its own limitations: " I feel so helpless now, my guitar is not around / And I'm strugglin with the xylophone / To make these feelings sound." Listening to Jaymay feels like acceptance.
Buy Sea Green, See Blue EP from Insound
Jaymay's Website/Myspace
UK Tour Dates, most supporting Laura Veirs or Isobel Campbell

I'm done the hyping I needed to, so let's make it a mixtape:
Bright Eyes -True Blue
Gary Nock - Troubled Blue Eyes
Ryan Adams - When the Stars Go Blue
Something Corporate - She Paints Me Blue
Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
Wilco - Blue-eyed Soul
Repost: Josh Ritter - Thin Blue Flame

Labels: , , ,

5 Responses to “Come, be blue with me.”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    it's a perfect drink, but...
    pavement - blue hawaiian
    is a perfect song, too.  

  2. # Blogger Kate

    Oh yes, I'd forgotten that one.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    cary brothers - blue eyes  

  4. # Blogger Kate

    yeah... garden state soundtrack  

  5. # Blogger CTV

    Neil Diamond - Song Sung Blue
    Style Council - Have You Ever Had It Blue

    Cheers for bigging up Catherine Feeny. I've tried to spread the word for a while, and was going to include her in my Songbird series. I found your very enjoyable blog while looking around which songs are floating around in the blogosphere to prevent duplication (I hope you don't mind if I link to it).

    I love the flugelhorn solo in Mr Blue, but seeing as you have it on your blog, I'll go with "Touch Back Down" and something else (perhaps "Hush Now").  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |