The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Virgin Festival: Day 2, Part One

Last weekend, (Jason and) I decided that Day 2 of Virgin Festival was worth my $90-something dollars, due to the amazing convergence of Andrew Bird, Martin Dosh, Zooey Deschanel, M. Ward, The Go! Team, The Black Keys, Iggy Pop and Bob Dylan at the same place. I'm not sure I'd do it again (Pitchfork is starting to get pretty high on my agenda for next summer), but it was still a good time.
(photo courtesy of DaveGolden)
The day began with The Go! Team, who were playing for an audience of the walking dead: no one was dancing!!! I've never been a big fan, and consequently had never seen the Go! Team live before. Now, having seen them once, I'd go see them over and over
and over
and over
again. You get the idea.

Ninja has the hottest British accent I've ever heard.

The Go! Team - Universal Speech

We managed to get good spots for Andrew Bird, who was playing with Martin Dosh and two other tour-buddies. I don't think his performance came across as well as I'd hoped with the huge crowd and the summer heat, if I see him again it'll have to be in an indoor venue. He played a new song I rather liked, it may or may not be on YouTube (some guesses: here, here and here).

I also caught a spectacular whistling segment that you can see here.

Andrew Bird - Imitosis



(Reuters)
Imagine this: You wake up a in field full of daisies and Zooey Deschanel, whose name I can't spell without help from google, is skipping about in a pretty baby blue dress and M. Ward is sulking in a corner and this isn't a dream, it's a nightmare, will somebody please wake me up?!?!

I lied, seeing She and Him live isn't exactly like that. Maybe it was Becky Stark who drove me to not-quite-insanity (even though I like Lavender Diamond). And maybe I just was disappointed because M. Ward did, in fact, spend most of the set in the corner of the stage on a separate plane from the rest of the back-up band to Zooey's one-woman-Powerpuff-girl-act. Loving M. Ward as I do, it broke my heart in two.

I think Jason explained the problem with She and Him to a T by describing Zooey as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, described by The Onion as,
"that bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that 'exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures."
"Sweet Darlin'" was the last song of She and Him's set, and some frattish boys behind me, desperate to see the ever-late Lil' Wayne, seemed to miss the point of the song. Then they had to wait "just a little bit longer," for an extra hour or so, to see their beloved rapper. Lesson of the day: don't show up late to your own concert.

She and Him - Sweet Darlin'

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Responses to “Virgin Festival: Day 2, Part One”

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |