The Glorious Hum - Main Page


System FAILURE

The post title comes from the fact that somehow I have FAILED to write about these two albums over the past 6 months (thanks to Mark and his "Thursday Spam" for reminding me about Blitzen Trapper). I'd put "Download or Die" next to all of the tracks mentioned here, but I think it should be pretty obvious how much I like them.

Blitzen Trapper, Wild Mountain Nation (June 2007)
Blitzen trapper puts you in the back of a pick-up truck for a ride through the mountains, minus the inevitable dirt roads and constant use of the acceleration pedal. “Wild Mountain Nation” shouts its perfection for soundtrack use every time you listen to it. When Eric Earley sings “You know that wild mountain nation’s on the rise and going home” you can literally hear the smile in his voice on the word "home." Why these kids got signed to Sub Pop this summer should be obvious.

Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation [alt link]
Buy Wild Mountain Nation from Insound
Blitzen Trapper's Website/Myspace

Important Tour Dates:
September 30 - Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop
October 7 - Washington, DC @ Rock & Roll Hotel
(more, less important, tour dates here)

Pela, Anytown Graffiti (April 2007)
I love Pela. I've been listening to Anytown Graffiti over and over and over again lately, and every listen increases my love of Pela more.
In "Lost to the Lonesome" it's the use of repetition that does the trick, showing the lost potential of the situation - first, it's "we could crash the party on new year's eve" and "we could break the bed without broken hearts." But none of this has happened, "don't just stand there with your face in your hands" transforms into "don't just stand there like a ghost in my room." The sound is overwhelming, the song is beautiful, I love this album. Fans of Guided by Voices, this is for you.

Pela - Lost of the Lonesome
Pela - Trouble with River Cities
Buy Anytown Graffiti from Insound (eMusic also has it)
Pela's Website/Myspace/Tour Blog

Labels: , , , ,

7 Responses to “System FAILURE”

  1. # Blogger -tom

    If Blitzen Trapper comes your way GO GO GO see them.
    They're amazing live.  

  2. # Blogger Josh L

    Another good article Kate, I've been rather fond of the Blitzen trapper album since I got it a while ago.
    I've also considered a feature like this, there's a number of artists I'd wish I'd blogged but kinda never got round to it - Stars being one of them, so expect a few soon I guess.

    Josh  

  3. # Blogger Kate

    heh, yeah if I did that with every released I've missed over the past 3 years I could pull 5 posts a day out of my ass. :) thank goodness I don't. you should go for stars though.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    motivated or inspired by the spam maybe?

    nlm0.0mln  

  5. # Blogger Kate

    yes yes yes, I should add a comment about that.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    no need to. just curious. glad to have an impact that's all.  

  7. # Blogger Kate

    heh, you're too late. it's up. :)  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |