The Glorious Hum - Main Page


Metric, Islands, and Men, Women, and Children @ 9:30 club

As suggested by the title, I saw Metric, Islands, and Men, Women, and Children @ the 9:30 club last night. My Review:

The night began with Men, Women, and Children, which I was guessing was a lo-fi band based on the name, having done no research whatsoever into the opening bands. In reality, they're something of a 70's disco/80's hair-metal revival band, and what they play can only be described as meaningless dance music along the lines of Electric 6. One of the guitarists wore a pink jacket and played a baby-blue guitar, the pianist had his hair down past his shoulders wore a very disco-era overly v-necked pink and purple sleeveless silk shirt, and the other guitarist had a green shirt with a long vertical slit in the neck, a ruffled collar, and a velvet vest. The other band members were somewhat less flamboyant, but the choice of clothing, the strobe light, bubbles, and orchestrated fall to the floor by the entire band at the end of one song drove home for me that this band was about flash rather than substance. They did, however, seem to have a devoted following of teenage girls (and guys) at the show, who screamed out "I love you" to the lead singer (whose name I'm not bothering to look up), though thankfully not all at the same time. Despite my desire to get enthusiastic about the band, I couldn't, and stood there during Men, Women, and Children's portion of the concert barely bobbing my head.
Note that I linked to their website, where you can download two of their songs.

The second band up was Islands, which, like a certain favorite band of mine, has 6 members...and a lot more in common than that. The band, which I found out afterwards consists of some of The Unicorns' former members, has two electric violin players (one of whom also plays the piano and sings) and a guitar player who also played the banjo, along with the usual line-up of a base player, lead singer/pianist/guitarist, lead guitarist, and drummer. Really, I have no words. The Islands were VERY good, and there's virtually no information on them on the web, and according to amazon they have an album coming out in April... After the show, my friend and I sighted the electric violinist/pianist and she got his autograph and we both got hugs. Very exciting.

Then came....METRIC. They played a good mix of new and old songs, and there was definitely some crazy dancing going on. There was a large group of people on the left side of the stage with their hands up in the air. I, on the other hand, was on the right side about 3 feet from the stage. Yep.

Some good pictures of the Belle and Sebastian concert and some not-so good ones of the Metric Concert...I'll be looking for more.
One blogger's Metric review...same deal as with the pictures, if I find more posts from people who went to the concert I'll link to them.

NON-CONCERT RELATED...well maybe
  • Music Reviews as Haiku from Yuppiepunk
  • Recording of the Clay Your Hands Say Yeah concert from NPR

Labels: , , ,

0 Responses to “Metric, Islands, and Men, Women, and Children @ 9:30 club”

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |