The Glorious Hum - Main Page


TGH turns Two.

Happy birthday, blog. For the first year you cried and slept a lot; this past year you moved on to crawling...maybe now you'll waddle? (like a duck) Even when I abandoned you for 4 months, you were still there when I came back. I appreciate that. I also should thank Harris for providing file hosting and generally rocking my world.

Andrew Bird - Fiery Crash

This is my favorite song of the blog year thus far. I'm always been amazed at the way Andrew Bird makes lines like "beige tiles and magazines / Lou Dobbs and the CNN team" work as part of his narrative. In the case of "Fiery Crash" the narrative is a sarcastic one. The world could end any moment now, so "to save all our lives you've got to envision / the fiery crash." The song plays as a big musical joke on the current terrorism-fearing security complex: it's "just a nod to mortality / before you get on a plane."

It remains a mystery to me why when music critics (bloggers are guilty too) talk about the National, for example, their music is spoken of as innately political. When Andrew Bird in the artist in question, we get the "multi-instrumentalist", the man who whistles, who recorded his album in a big barn, spending months by himself without any music but his own. No mention of his commentary on the current state of world affairs.

(Update: I forgot to mention - Happy birthday John McCain!)

Labels:

6 Responses to “TGH turns Two.”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I think that my favorite Andrew Bird lyric--beating out even the venerable "We're gonna meet someday in the crumbled financial institutions of this land"--has to be off Armchairs from his new album:

    "I dreamed you were a cosmonaut of the space between our chairs, and that I was a cartographer of the tangles in your hair."  

  2. # Blogger Kate

    Tables and Chairs does have some of my favorite lines, "we're gonna live on our wits / we're gonna throw away survival kits, / trade butterfly-knives for adderal" ...which of course ends with "there will be snacks" ...at the moment, however, my favorite Andrew Bird song is "Opposite Day." Armchair Apocrypha is all about the one-liners and hooks "Thank god it's fatal"

    btw, I never know which alex it is that leaves the nice comments... alex of blog fresh radio, alex as in joe's brother, alex my preschool buddy, alex who I'm forgetting or never knew in the first place....  

  3. # Blogger Joe M.

    that would be my brother

    and if you were in an old hotel that happened to be on fire...?  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    well, maybe i'd jump, maybe i'd reconsider, or maybe i'd just climb a little higher.


    just don't drink that milk in front of the window!  

  5. # Blogger Kate

    I feel made fun of for some reason. It could be the "Alex Joe's brother." Possibly?  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    happy blog b-day!
    i'll see what i can do as a present in this week's spam or maybe on gimmie gimmie gimmie.  

Post a Comment

MP3's are here for sampling purposes only (so please don't steal my bandwidth by linking directly to song files).

If you are an artist or label and want an MP3 taken down, send an e-mail to:
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
and the file will be down ASAP.

Google Custom Search

Contact Information

Want to
...Submit music?
...Ask questions?
...Write for The Glorious Hum?

E-mail me (Kate) at
theglorioushum (at) gmail (dot) com
(last.fm)(WOBC)(Twitter)

Some suggestions and notes regarding submissions (and other requests) can be found here.
About The Glorious Hum.

Me

 Subscribe to RSS Feed
OR Delicious Bookmark TGH on Delicious
OR Subscribe to TGH by e-mail
OR Give TGH a thumbs up!

Recent Posts

Support the Artists!



Buy it at Insound!



Yellow Bird Project

Buy a band's T-shirt, support a charity. Included in the project: Rilo Kiley, the Shins, Devendra Banhart, Stars, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and others.





Last week's top played artists



Kate's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Technical Support

I owe a big thank you to my Oberlin buddy Harris for some of the coding and for file-hosting (*hearts Harris*); you can hire him to build your website just because he's that awesome.


(Pretty Please) Bookmark The Glorious Hum on del.icio.us
My TTLB Ecosystem Details

Add to Technorati Favorites
Listed on BlogShares
Free Blogger Templates
BLOGGER
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
BlogBurst.com
mp3 blogs
make money online blogger templates


Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to Netvibes






I don't know anything about music. In my line [of work] you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley

© 2005 The Glorious Hum |